Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Wanted (wawwwnted!) dead or alive

A friend left me a message yesterday saying she had two extra tickets to the Bon Jovi concert tonight in downtown San Jose, and would I be interested? I hung up the phone and thought, ehhh, I dunno. I'm pretty busy this week ... stressed out about work ... THIRTY-ONE YEARS OLD ... And do you think he'll sing past 9:30 or so? Because it makes me tired just thinking about partying that late on a Tuesday.

I also realized that if Jon Bon Jovi (born John Francis Bongiovi, Jr., so coolest name change ever? Why, yes, I believe it is!) wasn't going to sing stuff I actually knew, it could be a pretty big letdown. So I did a Google search for "Bon Jovi concert review" and after a few minutes of reading, I was air-guitaring my ass off right in my cubicle. Holy SHIT, I forgot how much I love Bon Jovi! "I'll Be There For You" and "Livin' on a Prayer" and "Bad Medicine" ... let me tell you, friends, Bon Jovi and the Jersey boys once rocked my world. Actually, I was huge into many hair bands. Not, like, AC/DC and Van Halen, which my husband says should really be considered first generation. Hair-band pioneers, if you will. My guys were part of the next class. Skid Row ... Warrant ... Def Leppard ... and Poison, omigod POISON! I freaking loved that Bret Michaels more than life itself. Bret and Kirk Cameron. What can I say, I had a wide range.

Then there's haters like my brother. I left him a message this morning to tell him about the concert, and I even sang a few bars of "You Give Love a Bad Name" into the phone, just to get him excited about it, too. But he left me a message saying that never, under any circumstance, am I to EVER leave "cock rock" on his voice mail. Ever.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? That's right. Like all boys who watched their junior-high girlfriends spend hours upon starry-eyed hours watching these Monsters of Rock on MTV, he's jealous. Jealous of the Jove. It's OK, brother. Jove understands. Jove'll be there for you. These five words he swears to you.

P.S. Awesome side note: My friend with the tickets? Well, she's nine months pregnant. We're sitting with her and her husband, and I just told him, man, you better get ready because having your water break at a Bon Jovi concert? That would be such a great story, how could it NOT happen?!? He writes back: "I sure hope Linda doesn't interrupt me in the middle of the concert by saying IT'LL TAKE MORE THAN A DOCTOR TO PRESCRIBE A REMEDY." Bon Jovi Fever, man. Catch it.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

He was on SNL recently and they did a sketch where the band was trying to pick a name and he was pushing for Bon Jovi and they were like, "Aw, man. Why does it get to be your name?" and he was like, "oh, don't worry, we'll alternate the names all the time."

Kenney said...

Humm ... Catching up on the blog here. Just thought I'd point you to the last line of MY blog post from April 8. Weird ...

http://www.kenneymarlatt.com/blog/2008/04/legendary.html