Sunday, May 4, 2008

Eating our fruits and veggies

I was unpacking groceries yesterday when I heard a knock on the door. It was a woman with a cart full of freshly picked strawberries. She wanted to sell me an entire flat, but I am cheap and wanted just one small carton. We split the difference, and I bought three containers for $6. It was such a bargain (and delivered right to my doorstep, even!) that I figured they might not be very good. Uh, wrong. They are to die for. They're plump and juicy, and they taste like they have been swirled in pure sugar.

Sometimes I get really worked up over fresh fruits and vegetables. Like, check this out: About an hour after the strawberry lady left, I washed dirt out of the spinach I bought at the store. Dirt, WHICH INCLUDED A LIVE BUG, right from the very ground in which the spinach was born! Things like fresh-from-the-earth spinach are why I will never, ever, ever move out of California.

Evidently I'm not the only one in the family who appreciates fine produce. When I wasn't looking, Chickenbone grabbed a strawberry out of the cartons, which were sitting on the coffee table. I made a short video of him trying to get the strawberry to play with him. It gets a little slow in minute two, after he meticulously bites off the tiny green leaves, one by one. But he does a trick at the end, so keep watching!


Chickenbone and the strawberry from Amy on Vimeo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea for strawberry, straight from Sunset magazine (published not too far from my office!)... wash whole strawberry, dip it in sour cream, and then roll through brown sugar. Eat. It tastes divine- just like strawberry cheesecake!

Robyn said...

I like strawberries just dipped in powdered sugar! But don't inhale as it enters your mouth or you will choke to death on fine sugar powder.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for strawberry season here to see if Zu is as enthralled by Chickenbone!