Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Taking a little trip

Tomorrow I'm getting on an airplane and flying to Dallas. Every time I tell somone I'm going to Dallas, they cringe. But truly, lots of fun things await me there!

I'm going to attend a conference for the Association of Women in Sports Media, otherwise known as AWSM, and cheesily pronounced as "Awesome." I'm really looking forward to it, and not just because it's a break from office and home-buying chaos. It's also because I get to ride in a race car! Seriously. On Friday night we're going to Texas Motor Speedway, where I'll take a ride in a race car at 150 mph for four laps. I also get to wear a "fire suit," which I presume is to keep the barf from getting on my clothes.

The conference itself should be neat, too. Dave Barry is the keynote speaker at the gala Saturday night, for one thing. And for another, I hear Christine Daniels will be attending. Do you know Christine Daniels? She is the L.A. Times sportswriter formerly known as Mike Penner, who last month wrote in the newspaper that he is changing his gender. I have been following this story closely, mostly because I have always been mystified about transsexualism. I'm not against it, I just plain don't understand it. But Christine explains it in a way I can digest. And the story of her struggle, which she is still telling on her blog, is quite gripping.

Then there's the matter of the hotel. I just adore staying in nice hotels. Last night I was reading the description of this one, and my toes curled to read about the Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries, the down pillows, the 250-thread-count sheets. I don't even know what an "ion hair dryer" is, but I'm sure as shit glad I'll have one in Dallas. And I am trying to enjoy all this anticipation as much as possible now, because I know what will happen when I'm actually there. I'll climb into in that big comfy bed and realize that sleeping without my husband, and my little dog curled up under the blankets next to my stomach, pretty much sucks. And even something called a "Serenity Bed Super Topper mattress pad" won't help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Lisa Dillman, Mike Penner's ex-wife, will attend. Let us know.